Thursday, January 14, 2016

Worth

I recently had a very close friend end his own life. It shook me in a way that nothing has in a very long time. It resonated with me that people truly don't see their worth, and may never see it. The fact that someone so close to me was battling with his monsters for so long and I didn't know gives me a sick feeling in my stomach, and a will to change the way mental health is looked at. Mental issues like depression and anxiety are common, but nothing short of serious. Especially in men, having one of these issues weakens you in the eyes of society. It's very important that you tell and show your friends that you love them; telling them after they're already gone is pointless. Please Please Please Please know how much you are loved and treasured. Your life is the most incredible gift, don't give it away.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. I wish more people could educate themselves about mental health, and realize how men should receive the same moral support that a woman does. That it doesn't make them weak or less 'manly' (really though), and that it only makes them human. I like how you said that you should tell people how much you love them, not as validation-but so they recognize their self worth and know they're cherished in someone's life. I always make sure to tell my sister that before I drop her off, or leave a sticky note reminder in her lunchbox. I noticed that she's weary that of her weight and compares herself too much. People don't realize words make a big difference. Btw, great theme/idea for your blog. I don't really comment, but I thought that you would take comfort in knowing someone listens. Life goes on, but the fact that you're processing with these conflicting thoughts (what if..) and internalized emotions, means you do care for others. There's nothing that you could've done, so please don't beat yourself down for it (don't take it the wrong way). Good luck!

    P.s we should've talked more, because I feel like we have similar minds. Peace be with you kindred spirit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words honestly mean so much to me; stay in touch. Stay strong, stay lovely xoxo

      Delete